June 25 – July 1

June 25 Shoreline to Auburn, Washington

I started today at the America’s Best Value Inn in Shoreline with my wife. Since my wife was flying back to Texas today, we decided to rent a truck so we could ride together. She took me to the Angel Lake Cyclery bike shop in SeaTac Washington. The owner, Dale, was waiting for me and soon got to work on my trike. He replaced all my tires, provided slime filled tubes, fixed my rear derailer, adjusted my brakes, and installed a new thumb gear shifter for my rear gears. He is a great guy and really knew what he was doing. I left the bike shop at 4:30 and still had 11 miles to go. I soon got on the bike path and had a smooth ride except for the accident I saw. I arrived at my Warmshowers host and was met by Steve and Melody. They provided an excellent dinner and dessert. Steve showed me his bike shop and some of his projects. Great conversation and a wonderful bed.

June 26 Auburn to Highway 18, then to Sunnyside, Washington

Today was a great day for riding, cool temps, no wind, good shoulder on road. The only tough part was a lot of hills or sometimes just a constant uphill grade. I should expect more hills and climbing until I cross the continental divide in Montana in a few weeks. I rode hard for 20 miles and then my friend, Keith Jackson, picked me up to take me to his house in Sunnyside. I am going to spend a few days with Keith and his wife, Michelle. On the very first night, we had a great steak dinner with baked potato and grilled veggies. Also had cheesecake for dessert. We stayed up late talking and reconnecting. This is going to be a great few days for my spirit and for my body to get some healing in preparation for my quest to head East towards Maine. Feeling great and trike is running smooth.

June 27 Sunnyside

Rest day. I visited the Veterans Memorial in Sunnyside. I met the American Legion commander, Greg Schlieve. I also talked with Vietnam Veteran Leroy Werkhoven. Keith and I went to the VFW Post 3482 for dinner. While there, I met the Post and District Commander Bill Ingram. I told him about my cause and my tour. He took a picture with me and is sending it to the National Commander. I also met a lot of other great veterans and really had a great time.


June 28 Sunnyside

Rest day. I rode my trike into Sunnyside today for an interview with the Daily Sun News. I spoke with Ted and had a good time sharing my story. I then went back to the Jackson’s and had a great time hanging out with them. I also met several veterans at their RV Park and was able to share with them. We then went shopping and I was able to get some new gear. I bought a self-inflating ground mat, some rope to hang my food in bear country, and a new pair of rain pants. Great day.

June 29 Mount Rainer

Rest day. I went with the Jackson’s to Mount Rainer. This was just a great day for sightseeing and relaxing. We saw many waterfalls. I was able to walk on snow up in the mountains. We ate lunch at the lodge up in the Paradise Loop. I saw many beautiful flowers. We had a great day of exploring and then a beautiful drive back to Yakima and then to Sunnyside. I am getting excited about getting back on the tour tomorrow.

June 30 Sunnyside to Spokane

I got up early today because I am excited to get packed up and back on the road. I took a shower and then ate some breakfast. I then began my laundry. I also talked to several people about my tour and PTSD. A lady I met named Peggy baked us some delicious banana bread. The RV Park owner gave me a donation. I finally repacked my trailer and we got on the road at 12:30. Keith was nice enough to give me a ride to get me back on schedule in Spokane. I am going to miss the Jackson’s and all their kindness. I arrived at my Warmshowers host at 4:30. Mike and Anita prepared a delicious dinner of ribs, beans, and brownies. They are super nice hosts and this night will get me ready for tomorrow.

July 1 Spokane to Springy Point Campground, Sagle, Idaho

I was feeling really excited today to get back on the road. My day started with a great breakfast with Mike and Anita. I got a late start at around 10. I rode on a bike trail for several miles then finally crossed into Idaho. This is now my 7th State. I rode along a busy highway but had a nice shoulder. After leaving the highway, I had country roads with no shoulder but way less traffic. Some of the roads weren’t even paved. I arrived at the Springy Point Campground around 6. I was told about getting an Access Pass for Federal Parks which will give me free entry and half priced camping. I got the pass and hope to use it a lot. I then took a shower, ate a good dinner, then got an amazing night of sleep. Going to keep moving and making my way East.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s